Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Friday, June 09, 2006

Oh No! A Sci-Fi Post. UGH!

And what's worse...It's a Doctor Who post!

Ah get over it I've done it before. Anyway...

I've been watching the "new" Doctor Who episodes on SciFi every week and absolutely LOVING every minute. I was a huge Doctor Who fan in my youth and was very pleased to hear that the BBC was finally bringing back the classic series. However, when I heard that they were actually going to have a budget for effects I was almost afraid of the finished product. I mean, seeing an updated version of the show with some real backing behind the production seemed like an idea that has come and gone without any positive results.

Peter CushingThere were two big screen versions of the show starring Peter Cushing that were somewhat regrettable and are not generally accepted at part of the Whoniverse.

Paul McGannFOX spent a few bucks some time ago on a TV movie starring Paul McGann. While McGann was actually a pretty good Doctor and did keep the franchise breathing with books on tape and audio sequels, the special made for us Yanks was anything but a stellar argument for bringing the series back to life.


Naturally I was eager to see the new shows starring Christopher Eccleston, but I reserved the right to dislike the finished product and decided I could be a "Classic" snob, much like the folks who think that Star Trek started and finished with Captain Kirk( and are so WRONG, by the way).

Christopher EcclestonMan alive was I completely floored by how good the new shows actually were. This will surely sound like some sort of heresy, but about 3 or four episodes into the new series I found myself wondering why the hell I'd ever liked the old series in the first place. It isn't even like comparing apples and oranges. More like comparing apples and a Buick. Everything from the writing, the design, the adult feel of the show, to the effects, the humor, and the presence of a genuinely attractive companion (Billie Piper as Rose) was absolute excellence. It truly was a Doctor Who for grownups. A very mature, intelligent realization of a science fiction drama for the ages.

Friday night was the last episode of the Eccleston season. Sadly, the BBC was not sure if the show would be a hit or not and they chose not to offer him an extension on his contract. So, another regeneration for the Doctor and the David Tennant episodes are now running in England. One day soon I hope to see them here and if they're anything like the episodes I've been so happy to watch this year, I can't wait!


David Tennant & Billie Piper

My lovely wife is getting me the DVDs of the Christopher Eccleston episodes on July 4th as a late birthday present. What a happy day that will be indeed!

7 Comments:

Blogger Gordon D said...

I've actually acquired some of the David Tennant episodes (currently playing now)...it actually gets somewhat better.

My personal favorite Eccleston episodes are "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" (classic Who) - I'm glad that the BBC actually focused on the writing as well as the production values. (Although some of the scripts are still a little "iffy", IMNSHO.

3:28 AM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about their being actual sexual tension between the Doctor and Rose, but it's kind of awesome, actually.

I'm not a terrible purist. Basically, as long as it's got Tardis (I used to have a T-shirt that said "Tardis Express, when it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday") and no sign of Peter Davison, I can always love Dr. Who.

5:45 AM

 
Blogger sue said...

I actually watched this last night for the first time. Imagine my dismay when I realized it was the season finale!! Nooooo!!! Perhaps there will be re-runs? I can always hope...

6:40 AM

 
Blogger Webmiztris said...

Doctor "Who"?

lol

but seriously? I've never seen the show....

6:46 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

I've had some downloaded versions of the Eccleston episodes all this time and never ended up watching them, tempted as I was. There's something so much more exciting about waiting week after week for the goods.

I think most all of the scripts have been quite good. Being something of a new venture for the franchise I expected some of the stories to be a little more reminiscent of the childish Who. All were most excellent however. "Dalek" was among the best episodes I've ever seen.

I've been waiting for some sort of sexual tension between the Doctor and any companion for decades. Come on, when he was taking that savage Leela around time & space in her animal skins, only a homosexual Time Lord (or a British man...same thing. lol) could resist that. I mean the series started with the Doctor and his granddaughter. That implies he's actually had some sexual interests in the past. They first broached the subject with the FOX who, but that was so unwatchable that nobody seemed to care.

Moreover, Rose is so damned naughty you gotta wanna bang her.

Captain Jack ROCKS! Born in Scotland, raised in Joliet, Illinois (the actor playing him). Small world.

I grew to enjoy Davison somewhat and he had some excellent stories. I LOATHED Colin Baker. Too arrogant and what the fuck was he wearing. Would have loved Sylvester McCoy if the writing wouldn't have been somehow more childish than Sesame Street. He could have been my favorite Doctor if I could have gotten through anyof his episodes.

Sue, keep checking Sci Fi. Perhaps they'll run them again leding up to the July 4th DVD releases.

8:31 AM

 
Blogger Spook said...

Did you know that Cap'n Jack is getting a spinoff series? Called "Torchwood," (an anagram of "Doctor Who") I think it's filming right now even.

2:05 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Knew about the spinoff. Didn't know about the anagram.

lol

4:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home