Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Saturday, October 22, 2005

History Ennui

Today, for the first time in nearly 50 years, the only sporting event worth watching, The World Series, will be played in Chicago.

I should be happier.

The guy in me that has lived here forever and been a member of the Chicago Convention & Tourism Bureau should be ecstatic for the city. Instead I don't really give a damn.

Some of this is because I was raised a Cubs fan and couldn't possibly root for the White Sox. Some is because I have completely given up on Major League Baseball in favor of the heart-filled beauty of the Minor Leagues and Independent Leagues.

I'm eager to see a Chicago team win the World Series. It is only fitting that the greatest city in the world get to enjoy a victory in the greatest game in the world.

I'm a bit worried about the prospect of playing the Astros, knowing that they have never played in nor won a World Series. That is certainly a factor that could cause the Baseball Gods to shit all over my theory about why the Sox will win. However, I stand behind the fact that the Sox will win. The Baseball Gods hate ME almost as much as they hate the Cubs you know. Gods in general aren't all that fond of me I guess. All I know for certain is that I will likely not watch a single game.

Best of luck to the Chicago White Sox.

To the Chicago Cubs (the organization as opposed to the players), respectfully, GO FUCK YOURSELVES!

You should be in the dugout at Wrigley Field sucking the business end of a shotgun from SHAME for allowing the White Sox to arrive at the World Series before you did. You are a complete disgrace to the great city of Chicago and I cannot bear to think of life in the wake of a White Sox World Series Victory. Sadly, you cannot think of a world where you are the champions. You have no heart, no vision, and no drive to succeed.

At least the White Sox played the game this season with the child-like exuberance and enthusiasm needed to win loyalty as well as ball games. The White Sox even managed to play a little fundamental baseball. Great pitching, timely hitting, and good fundamental baseball seem to help teams achieve greatness. The Chicago Cubs have made a mockery of baseball for nearly a full century now. I hope you suffer greatly when the White Sox win it all. You may have the best marketing department and the finest stadium in the game, but at least this year, the White Sox have the best team. Choke on that, Cubs. You know how to choke, right?

3 Comments:

Blogger sue said...

Touchy, touchy! ::stepping away from the angry man::

3:51 AM

 
Blogger Bud said...

I was amazed that while I was in Chicago when the sox clinched. NOBODY mentiined it. I was either in a dcifferent part of town or hanging out with people like you and Olga

6:22 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Yeah, the Sox are always complaining about how the Cubs get all the attention. I have arather long diatribe about why they have ro right to complain and how the Sox brought all their poor marketing results upon themselves. I'll save that for another day. Besides, they'll get all the press they want when they win the World Series.

Sue, no need to step away. Unless you're in the Cubs organization you're perfectly safe from my wrath. ;)

10:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home