Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Random Celebrity Memories! Vol. Three: Gary "U.S." Bonds

Image hosted by Photobucket.comKeeping with the musical theme, I'll tell you about my first trip to Duluth, MN.

I was working the Duluth Boat, Sports, & Travel Show, a gig I've worked a couple of times. As with all my trips to Duluth to perform, I was the entertainment on the "family stage" and there was a headliner on the main stage. In this particular year the headliner was none other than Gary "U.S" Bonds.

Gary is something of a legend in the rock, r&b, and blues scene. He's got a great voice and he's responsible for some of my favorite recordings. I can listen to him sing, "New Orleans" any day of the week!

On several occasions that week, we had to make our own "meet & greet" appearances. He was always extremely nice and very cool to me. His wife and daughter were his background singers and they were BEAUTIFUL! Man, oh man were they babes! The rock scene does good by a guy, ya know?

One thing I always like when I'm working these types of events is that I get to see the shows, and meet the veteran performers, something I ALWAYS enjoy. I like hearing the road stories, the hell gig stories, and just getting to know some folks with years more experience in the biz than myself. What made this particularly cool was that Gary, made a point to see the trade show and more importantly, he and his family came to see my show. The fans of his liked seeing him out and about and they were also much more attentive to my antics when they saw that he was interested in what I did.

We got along quite well and I'd work with him again in a heartbeat. I like working with genuine people with real talent and Gary doesn't get any more genuine on both counts.

Now for the very cool part. We were joking around backstage one day and I asked if he'd ever performed "Louie Louie". He went on and on about some of the crazier songs and shows he's done over the years and that "Louie Louie" was always a good song to get people dancing, if not a good song to play if the band was tired and he couldn't remember the words to any of his songs.

I told him about my silly obsession with the song and my collection. I joked that he should do the song that night and mix things up a bit and he said, "Sure! We'll do that one!." I was laughing at the prospect and I figured he was also joking.

Well, in a way he was joking. He started talking about the juggler & comedian on the family stage and how much he enjoyed my show. He even urged the crowd to applaud for me and go see the show, which was cool. He announced it to the crowds he was going to play "Louie Louie" , which got some applause. He followed with, "And speaking of Andy, "Louie Louie" is his favorite song. Why not have him come on out here and sing it for us!"

The crowd cheered and I was brought onto the stage. We chatted a bit and I was handed the microphone. The next thing I knew I was singing "Louie Louie", rather badly I must say, with a kickin' band, with two babes & Gary "U.S." Bonds as my backup singers! That was hysterical and loads of fun!

Gary is a great guy and one hell of a fine performer. He has a new CD out, which is available at his website. I haven't picked up my copy yet, but I surely will. hell, you can get an autographed copy for less than $20.00! If you're not a fan, you surely will be after taking a listen to his past and present works.

Incidentally, there IS a recording of my Martello/Bonds version of the song out there. Bob Husted, at Reel Life Recorders in Michigan has the tape and he has never managed to get me a copy of it. I don't mind. We both drank a lot after those gigs and he does get a bit busy or forgetful with all the work he does. LOL! One day, I'll get it for my collection. Maybe I should give them another call, all these years later. Regardless, I have the memories.

4 Comments:

Blogger E.P. said...

What the....???
You sang LOUIE LOUIE with Gary US Bonds, and didn't tell me about it? YIKES!

10:49 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

I am pretty sure I posted about it at the newsgroup a few years back when it happened.

I may have forgotten to do so, since I've never actually gotten the taped version of the thing to share with the gang!

8:36 PM

 
Blogger E.P. said...

That's OK... I might have been drinking as well.... so hard to remember EVERYTHING... although I do pretty good trying....

10:21 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Yeah, you're way better at the Louie details than I am. I come & go with my Louie hobby so frequently I'm amazed I still remember I have so many damned versions. LOL!

I really can't wait to see your film, Eric. I'm sure you're the smame. ;) With so many cool documentaries coming out and gaining so much press these days, I am confident yours will be a classic. I just wish I were way more successful so I could send you a huge wad o cash for completion.

Anyway, keep up all the good work no matter what!

10:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home