Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Starting to Cheer Up a Bit

Well, April certainly helped! WOO-HOO!

Otherwise here are a few things that helped ease me into a somewhat better head space late into the evening.

While going through some old photos and what-nots I found this cartoon drawn for me by someone who watched my show.

It was the coolest thing! I finished doing a little comedy nonsense and this sweet older man, alongside his wife, walked up to me with this drawing.

He had lots of cool comments and all that, but nothing seemed cooler to me than the fact that he felt compelled to draw this sketch and present me with an impromptu thank you card. Reminded me of some of the reasons why I put myself through this nonsense.

In other "Made Me Smile" news, GolfWidow posted a comment & link to the old blog earlier and I had to share with the rest of the class. This was in response to my diatribe about hating those ribbon magnets. She had this on her site for some time. Speaking of her site, check it out. I LOVE the artwork of her site. Big Monte Python fan, here!


Now THAT's funny. I'd actually put that magnet on my car!

Lastly, tomorrow has me working for a living and working towards a better living, all in the same day. After a gig (one where I managed to get them to pay day-of instead of net-30 ... YESSSSS!) I head on out to Durty Nellie's and continue to work out all the agonizing and extremely fun details of our Vegas Brothers show.

We're hoping to make Wednesday nights our regular gig and that place just ROCKS! It is one of the best stages around and when the place is packed it is HOPPING! I'd love to see a big crowd there tomorrow night.

I sent out a bunch of e-mail to get people to go, but truthfully, friends never really turn out to support a show if you're a comedian. They come out once in awhile, but for the most part they almost never show up. They REALLY want to come to the show if you're opening for George Carlin or something equally cool, but that's just so they don't have to pay. When it is you, they don't show.

I don't mind. I'd feel better charging a cover for people I don't know. I just wish so many people would stop asking me why I never tell them about my shows. I don't tell them because they never show up. I mean, really, I did a show at a venue that was THREE BLOCKS AWAY from a very good friend of mine. She stayed home. She didn't even have another engagement or anything. She just stayed home. This happens more often than not.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Until you're famous and people can exploit you somehow or go out of their way to re-friend you and "keep you grounded" these things are the norm. They don't read my columns either. Hell, another friend of mine, one who'd read a rough draft of a column prior to printing, would not go read the finished product until I prodded her. After she trudged on over to the site and read it she said, "You didn't tell me you added PICTURES!" Like the piece was crap without the visual add-ons.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a good turnout and I'm looking forward to bigger and better things from The Vegas Brothers in the future.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words, e-mails, and messages. With hope, things will get better sooner rather than later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

Andy, I know exactly what you mean about the support of friends at gigs. I managed to get a ton out for my CD Release party but it's been sparse ever since. Family is even worse. I think they see us so much they just get tired of our showing off. They can't possibly see things from the perspective of a performer. I let them slide on it and try not, sometimes unsuccessfully, to take it personally. It just makes me work harder at making my act better so that I'll develop a steady fan base not dependent on friends and relatives. Again, I'm glad I'm not doing this as a living. The New York Teachers Retirement System is my saviour.

4:17 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Well, I guess we're going to have to take the show on the road! WORLD TOUR! All of Andy Land's readers will get the show.

Hawaii!

Florida!!

Canada!!!

Texas!!!!

Philly!!!!!(Private showing at Jessica's house)

9:13 AM

 
Blogger Joe Schulenberg said...

Good to see you doing better, despite my best efforts.

That's a really nice momento. Good to hold onto those things from time to time.

Reminds me to keep that sort of stuff, though I must admit I've never received anything that cool. But holding onto a few compliments and positive things goes a long way.

I won't be able to see the Vegas guys on Wednesday. I'm at the Barrel performing in front of the same 7 people who normally hate my act.

Sorry.

10:04 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Yeah, I can see where a much longer drive to work for free in front of the same seven people would be much better than watching a hip, fun, & cool new show for free.

10:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home