Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Monday, April 14, 2008

More Press Coverage

The TV station that first aired the plate-spinning commercial (coincidentally, the same home town where my mother, brother, nieces, and some in-laws live) did a little news spot about the ad and the bill that Reynolds opposes. You can watch the story by clicking here.

Somehow I can't help but think the station is missing the local angle of the story. Seriously, what are the odds that a regional political commercial would start airing in the home town of half of my family? The fact that so many are watching the thing out there just to watch someone they personally know makes it a good local story in my humble opinion.

Of course, I can't imagine what counts for news anymore. I tried sending out some press releases to my past home town newspapers about the spot. Some of the places where I lived were more than "small" enough to find a regional/national commercial featuring one of their own somewhat newsworthy, right?

Take my last residence of Carol Stream, IL. Not a whole lot of national attention to any of the residents
there, past or present . The micro burst got our town on CNN & The Weather Channel, but there's not a lot else bringing attention to the place. Since the micro burst is what brought me to Vegas and Vegas was where I filmed the commercial that is airing in places across the country, including Illinois...you get the picture.

Well, allow me to share an e-mail response to the press release from one of the papers. I'm certain I wasn't supposed to get this as it was forwarded to one editor (with the heading, "Do we give a damn?") and subsequently responded to WITHOUT realizing that if you hit "reply all" or anything like that, you send the e-mail to everyone (in this case...ME).

Re: Do we give a Damn? - PRESS RELEASE - Former Carol Stream Resident Featured in National TV Commercial

Randy:

In the famous words of Mr. Butler, "frankly, me dear, I do not give a damn".
Bruce

I resisted the urge to point out to the guy that he mistakenly sent me his rather classy reply. It took even MORE restraint to not point out that he somehow misquoted the single most famous line in movie history.

I'll be kind and not mention exactly which Carol Stream paper had no need for a story about a former local who moved on to bigger things as a result of a tragedy in their town. Heck,
it seems they can't even afford a fact-checker (how exactly do you get that quote wrong?). I ill mention that it is in the smallest and least-read of the papers serving the town and leave it at that. No wonder, huh?

In other news...

According to MICHAEL MANNING, the commercial was briefly discussed on NPR's "All Things Considered" the other day when mentioning the proposed and opposed bill. Very nice.

My niece was also kind enough to post the YouTube version of the ad on her blog. Many thanks, Emily!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

How typical of small newspapers to think small. You have the NYT and NP friggin R!

5:28 PM

 
Blogger Kungfukitten said...

Congrats on the coverage! I wish I could have seen you spin plates even longer in the commercial, it would have been fun and maybe have made a stronger point. I love "reply all" and the people that abuse it. D'oh. Or should I say, me d'oh.

7:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have noticed he got the GWTW line wrong as well ;-)

Lisa B.

5:39 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Andy: Remember what I said about Cincinnati: "Small minds". As for your family seeing the commercial, I'd like to quote Harold Mirisch from "The Great Escape": ...But, the God's of Cinema looked down on us and it was resolved". HA! Now let me get a letter off tonight to Craig Ferguson! Letterman sounds very full of himself (and Craig is funnier).

7:33 AM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

I can't wait till you make it big and get to win an Oscar or an Emmy. Then you can thank them properly.

9:06 AM

 
Blogger Glenn Bishop "Bish The Magish" said...

Congratulations on your commercial and keep up the great work.

Glenn Bishops

7:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home