Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Friday, March 28, 2008

Did Somebody Say...Andy Martello's in a Commercial???

Indeed I am, folks!

Last week some time (or maybe the week before...I can't quite remember the days anymore) I got a last minute booking. I received a phone call that went something like this...

"Andy this is [a producer] from L.A.. I need to speak to you immediately. Please call me at..."

I figured this was probably a TV or theatre spot for THAT NIGHT (while I
was already at work at Houdini's), likely in L.A. or some place I couldn't get two immediately. I called back and instead it was a call for a plate-spinner...in Las Vegas...on Wednesday (my day off).

Seemed like a good day's work! After all, I am...The Last GREAT Plate-Spinner!

The spot was for a regional television commercial. Some sort of anti-bureaucracy spot paid for by a tobacco company wanting to stop some sort of freedom-hating legislation no doubt. The bad part - I had to be at the Planet Hollywood at 5 AM on Wednesday. The good part(s) - the cash was great, I'd get said cash that day, and I'd be done by 1 PM. Better still, I'd get a copy of the thing eventually for my files.

The shoot was fantastic, loads of fun, and we got a lot of great footage. Everyone, whether they were from L.A. or locals from Vegas, were great to work with and all had similar senses of humor and fun about them. The director and producer were happy with my performance and all the footage and we were all confident we'd get a good finished product.


At the time we didn't know where or when the thing was to air. We just knew the end client wanted a plate-spinner for the spot and I was the right guy for the job. I was hopeful it would air somewhere I had friends or family, if not somewhere full of people who might see the thing and get me more work.


As it happened, the commercial was finished quickly and it started airing on March 26th. Where? On stations in Michigan's First Congressional District. Who lives there? My mother, my older brother, his wife, his ex-wife, his kids, his wife's kids, my nieces - a whole lot of family! My mom was the first to see the spot and just happened upon it while watching the evening news.

The spot is running during all of the best-watched shows (Oprah, Letterman, Today, etc.) and my family is getting to see it. Very cool!

I was worried it would run at midnight somewhere nobody lives and about 8 people would see the thing. Instead lots of people in my family are seeing it and that makes me even happier.

When I get a copy I'll be sure to share with the rest of the class.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

This IS the best news yet. That's very good exposure. Congrats, Andy!

10:06 AM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

I am completely stoked.

6:45 PM

 
Blogger Glenn Bishop "Bish The Magish" said...

Cool Andy,

Great news - congratulations.

Glenn Bishop

7:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're just a lackey for the tobacco industry!

Seriously, love the spot. Nice work, well shot. And getting a boatload of airplay in my market. I've pointed it out to everyone I know and have had at least 8 different people call the stations talking about their connections to you.

1:51 PM

 
Blogger Krissteen said...

You know Andy... I was walking past the television out in our lobby and happened to glance up just in time to see YOU spinning plates and I was like.. OMFG that is Andy, I think that is Anyd... It HAS to be Andy... and holy fuck, guess what? It IS Andy!

Congrats! Great bit

xxOOxxOO
Chris

12:18 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

How COOL is that, Andy! CONGRATULATIONS TO THE LAST GREAT PLATE SPINNER!!!! I'm very happy for you! :)

9:25 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hoy hoy! Imagine my surprise this morning while watching the news before trudging my way to work and seeing you on TV. Nice ad!

3:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home