Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Living in Oblivion

As you well know, I am very thankful for the good fortune my family has enjoyed in the light of the otherwise tragic misfortune we endured earlier this year. Specifically, I speak of the micro burst that brought us to Las Vegas. Along with the storm came the huge monetary emergencies, the constant state of panic and fear, and the seemingly endless sense that it would get better eventually (but when would "eventually" come?)

I can only feel fortunate thinking about how well we quite literally weathered the storm. I am proud of the fact that we managed to make a dream come true and move out to Vegas. I adore the friends and family that have been so supportive and I cannot stop reveling in the relatively large amount of good luck we'd have bestowed upon us after all has been said and done.

That being said, I cannot believe that the good fortune, at least for myself and my wife, continues. Unfortunately, the good luck has not fallen upon those around us and my heart goes out to the families and victims of Tuesday's school bus shooting, which happened quite literally down the street from our house.

Six students were shot by two lunatic gunmen at a bus stop near Mojave High School, the school that is just across the street from my home. I drive by it twice a day or more every single day and I watch students walking to and from there all the time.

Somehow, April and I were not only unharmed, but we were completely (and rather embarrassingly) UNAWARE that it even happened. I only heard about it on the news tonight. I am certain it was all over the news last night, but I simply do not watch the local news every single night and I missed it completely.

Thankfully, April was already at work when it happened and I was on my way to work soon before the shooting. While we were out enjoying a simple day at work and looking forward to having some dinner that night, a horrific tragedy was happening a few miles from our front door.

I do recall seeing a news van parked on the side of the street when I got home last night, but I had no reason to think anything was out of the ordinary. Can you believe this? I feel like such an ass for not knowing about it. I guess that's one of the odd benefits/side effects of living and working in a town where so much of life is a 24/7/365 - no holidays - have fun at all costs- kind of place. Sometimes you just miss the big things that happen right outside your door.

So, to the families & victims of the shooting, my heart goes out to you and I am hopeful for swift justice towards the men who did this (a suspect was arrested just a few minutes ago) and that everyone injured returns home safely very soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger muthah said...

When I heard about it and they said it was in NE Vegas, I got scared enough to check that they didn't mention your names as one of the shot---or that you weren't doing a school performance at that very school. Our President and the Presidential candidates never seem to mention all the gun violence that's been occurring in the past weeks. The NRA has them all in its pockets.
Watch your back!

4:02 AM

 
Blogger Bud said...

Well, I saw the headline an moved on. I can't stand reading about that stuff. Glad you guys are okay.

5:31 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

My parents had many cool things they used to tell me as I was growing up. One of them is, "If you live right, you don't need a gun". Personally, I hate guns. But this tragedy is beyond heartbreak. I'm glad youand April were not harmed, Andy. Hang in!

2:48 PM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

I have no idea where anything is in Vegas, so I automatically assume that, when something happens in that city, it's not touching anyone I know. I should never assume such things.

2:12 AM

 
Blogger Bad Bad Girl said...

I also looked for the names of a few people I know in Vegas. I was relieved not to see yours.

10:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home