Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Monday, January 22, 2007

If I Can't Work, I May As Well Drink & Shoot

So times are unusually slow right now. I'm doing what I can not to go nuts and I certainly am getting as much marketing done as possible considering the circumstances.

That being said, even when things were busy I've needed something to occupy my time that doesn't involve sitting in front of a computer by myself. Well last week I took care of that to a degree. I joined a dart league.


I've been playing darts more regularly ever since I thought I might buy a dart store last year. Even though that didn't pan out, I did meet a new friend who calls me up every so often so we can go out and shoot a round or two. This has been great fun. Not only do I get to enjoy the game of darts again, I get to socialize with someone outside of the blog world and the entertainment world.

With all that came the prospect of playing in a league. I've never given it any thought in the past because most of the leagues play on days where I can all but guarantee I'd be working. No sense in committing myself to a team if I would have to let the team down every week. I also haven't played any sort of "organized" darts in many years because of...Well, there were a lot of assholes out there that made the fun game of darts an overly competitive, tension-filled, pain in my ass. Well, things are slow and I have a little more time right now to give it a try. I've also come to find that many of the steel tip players are a lot more relaxed and enjoy the game as I do.

Having not thrown darts in any sort of "real" competition in a damn long time AND being the new guy at this league, I was actually pretty nervous last week, at my first round. Thankfully I did alright and didn't embarrass myself. I also didn't cripple our team, though I wish I'd have won a couple more of my games.

Every Thursday night for the next 10 weeks or so I hope to be enjoying some tasty beers, meeting new people, making new friends, and playing a game I've loved for many years. Here's hoping I actually improve and get to help my team. We're currently [sigh] tied for last place right now, but there is a lot of time for us to make up ground. We have some very good players.

What have I gotten myself in to? LOL!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! You need something outside of the entertainment field, and this seems just right. You don't remember because you were a toddler, but your dear ole Mom used to regularly beat everyone in the house, even the students, at darts.

4:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a matter of fact, you weren't even born then. It was at Mrs. Allen's house in Oxford where Marty and Lisa were babies.

4:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't even know there were dart leagues? I thought you just went to a pub and threw darts with the boys over a pint.

6:17 AM

 
Blogger Bud said...

I remember throwing darts when they had magnets on the end. I think in third grade I was on a bowling team called The Darts. Since then Dart has been used largely as a verb by me. As in "Look at that asshole darting in and out of traffic at 89 MPH!" I'm afraid the only hand eye coordination I have involves groping.

6:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg, I suck at darts SO bad....I'm so inconsistent! first throw I'm right by the bullseye and the next I hit the wall! lol oh well, just have fun...that's all that matters!

10:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home