Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

THIS is How I Get in the Chicago Tribune???

I was going to go out and buy a copy of the paper, but I forgot. Today I did a search and found the story. Good thing I didn't waste my time. Maybe the reporter should tell you what the story is about before he starts asking questions. I thought it was a piece about having talent and the inherent need to display and be recognized for your talent. Who knew?

I do like the title though.

Here's the link if you want to read it.

Of course, I could do the bad thing and reprint it here. I shouldn't. The Tribune has so many money troubles they may feel it necessary to sue my ass for the measley twenty bucks I've got in my pocket.

Ah heck, I'll just reprint the section where I'm mentioned and quoted here, let you know the Tribune has the copyright, and take my chances.

Amorous women go for the juggler

q@tribune.com

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune


Chris McNamara
Published November 5, 2006

The only thing more embarrassing than the depths to which a man will sink to impress a potential mate is the positive reaction he'll sometimes receive. We'll call this the David Blaine Phenomenon.

Some women--and men--are attracted to guys whose greatest quality is the ability to spin a dozen plates at a time, Rollerblade backward through a series of cones or perform other parlor tricks that fall under the label "talent."

Magician David Blaine, for example, has legions of pining female fans, even though his greatest talent is holding his breath for non-record-breaking lengths of time.

It's a peculiar phenomenon. Although the talent for making money and providing food and shelter is an obvious draw to women, who are psychologically hard-wired to seek stability in their mates, that attraction is even stronger--for some women--toward a guy's ability to juggle while standing atop a board balanced on a bowling ball, which is by its very nature unstable.

To investigate the David Blaine Phenomenon, I headed to Navy Pier last week to study applicants for NBC's show "America's Got Talent," a title that--based on last season's performers--seems to be missing a question mark.

Pacing the hallway before his audition was Carol Stream's Andy Martello, a comedian/juggler/fire eater who performs the old balancing-on-a-bowling-ball trick. "A professional quarterback is only going to have a 3- to 10-year career," the 36-year-old explained, citing a talent that is highly valued and highly rewarded by our society. "I've been making a living at this for 21 years."

Good argument. But is the motivation to develop your odd talents flesh-based or financial? "Anyone will tell you it's for the love of the art," Martello answered, "but it's just a way to meet girls, right?"

----------

Read the rest of the story, including where some musician first says that every man does everything for some woman and then follows it up with a comment about it all being for love of the art, by clicking HERE...Fantastic.

5 Comments:

Blogger golfwidow said...

You know Chris McNamara just writes stuff like that to impress the ladies.

1:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy I love and adore you, but am not sure juggling is what I find most sexy about you.

Sorry ;-)

6:53 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Golfwidow, the author makes exactly that kind of joke at the end of the piece. You told it better though.

LisaB...exactly DO you find most sexy about me. heh

;)

7:51 AM

 
Blogger sue said...

Very nice... and, gee... you don't really do it to impress the ladies, do you, Andy? After all, you have the most gorgeous one at home!!

8:08 AM

 
Blogger Bud said...

That guy doesn't seem to be especially fond of your kind of art, does he? Fuck him. You got good publicity. I plugged you today too.

8:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home