Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Few El Rey Updates

I found a GREAT resource for odd and impossible to find movies. Something Weird Video is THE HOME of every type of bizarre and oddball video ever made. OK, it may not have everything you'll want to find, but it does have "Tonight for Sure"!

Something Weird owns the films in their catalogue and custom makes every VHS and DVD you order. Since the nudie-cuties are among their major arsenal of film classics I was happy to find I could get a fresh copy of this film for the low price of $15.00. It is worth it to me to find out if this is in fact the film featuring the El Rey, if not to see Coppola's first film.

Bob Martello
cannot recall if this is in fact the film in question as he doesn't remember the title or too many of the details surrounding the time the El Rey was in use for this project. However, the facts I've forwarded his way and shared with you, all add up and he's told me that there's a good chance I've got it right.

I also plan on sending a letter to the Jerry Schafer I found in Las Vegas. If this gentleman, an entertainment and video producer still very active in the Vegas scene, is the same guy who made Tonight for Sure I'll be sure to report what I find.

I've shared a few e-mails with accordion legend, Tony Lovello. He was kind enough to provide the names of the ladies in the group, also present the night of the El Rey fire. One lady was his now ex-wife Lavonne and a gal with a great showbiz name, Jo Ann Conti. Both are currently out of the entertainment business. Perhaps they might be around and interested in sharing their versions of that fateful night.

Tony himself has only recently jumped back into the entertainment game, after a 30+ year break and an extremely successful foray into the hotel business. Returning to the road (he's been touring for the last three years and performing full time again for the last 6), I find it absolutely amazing that his status as a master accordionist is what he chose as both his initial profession and later his retirement plan. He even had former bassist for the Tony Lovello Revue, Kenny Laursen, video his recent Las Vegas performances.

Tony sounds like a great guy and he was kind enough to forward his contact information to me. I look forward to talking to him very soon.

Last, but certainly not least, I'm I can report a new addition to my slow-growing collection of El Rey memorabilia.

The images in this post are two matchbooks from the mighty El Rey. April found them on eBay just before I did. I vowed I wouldn't be outbid on these The best time to get me to bid on something silly is when I've been really busy with paying gigs. LOL!

Sadly, I only won the first auction. I got outbid in the last seconds for this more colorful matchbook. I'm devastated. Ah well, you win some, you lose some.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

Can't wait to hear about the film. Love the matchbook you lost. Your winner is at least a memorabilia. Maybe the fancy one will come up again.

3:45 AM

 
Blogger sue said...

It's nice you have a hobby... ;)

5:37 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey? HEY! (now that I have your attention). Let's talk reasonably about this. A mere 30 years...a cool match book cover. Paradise Lost? Bwhahaha!

9:23 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

OK, you're stoned...right?

8:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the other band members were Joe Veronese,Arty Stevensand Ken Baliss.During the fire they handed the instruments out the dressing room window. Standing with Willy across the street as it burned, he said finally, Ah piss on it.I was There, JoAnne's Brother Arty.

7:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home