Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Yes, I Know I Should Be On TV

Please, stop telling me at gigs and in casual conversation about how I should be on "America's Got Talent" and "Master of Champions". I'm aware of the fact that I should be on those programs. I'm even more aware of the fact that I'm on neither of them.

I was asked by a few different agencies to submit promotional materials to both programs. Appraently I don't have talent and I'm not a master of anything.

I don't mind all that much. I'm a bit pissed at some of the talent I have seen and envious of some of my colleagues getting on these shows. I try to keep my chin up though. Really, I don't want to live in a world where David Hasselhoff or Oxana Baiul is telling me if I'm talented or not.

Regardless, please stop telling me that I should be on these shows. What you're doing is confirming that the shows aren't really filled with all that much talent AND getting me upset when I think about not making the cut...the cut of some crappy acts. In a way, you're making me come to the realization that I am so bad, I couldn't compare to some of the absolute shit that have been on the shows. Sure there are some great acts as well, but I don't care about them. The spaces watsed on crappy acts are what I notice, because those could be filled with people like me.

HEY! Here's an idea. Since you're going to stop telling ME that I should be on these shows, you should START telling THE PRODUCERS of those shows that they're missing the boat by not having ME on them. THAT would make me feel a whole lot better about myself and it would help guarantee that I don't misinterpret your otherwise well-intended compliment.

Haven't we been through this sort of thing before?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy -

Both of those show SUCK. I think you should count your blesssings you did not make the cut. I work in the biz and I know there are more legitimate outlets, (read non freak show,) to be "discovered."

I wish I could help you, (I don't have the contacts in the comedy world,) but hey you never know. One of these days someone might ask me casually who's a cool comedic talent and I will send them right your direction. Stranger things have happened.

6:12 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Oh I know those shows suck. I've watched them and was very pleased I missed out as well. However, my wish to be included on those shows has nothing to do with the prizes or the fame. I want the national TV credit and the nice, clean video footage that accompanies that credit.

The video is the most important in this biz. You don't seem to get onto the TV shows (which can lead to more & better paying gigs) without the good video, preferably footage from you on TV shows. You don't get the good video without being on the TV shows.

Catch 22 for showbiz types.

Thanks for the kind words though. Drop me an e-mail and we can talk shop sometime.

8:20 AM

 
Blogger Gordon D said...

Andy,

Just a thought, and I say this not being in the entertainment biz -

Most of the people on those shows are in it for the wrong reasons. It's for attention, it's for the quick-and-easy fix. It's not their career, it's not their job, it's not what calls them.

Sure, I could learn to juggle (and I have all the coordination of a rhino on heroin), but hey, it's not what I want to do, or where my talent lies.

You're a funny dude, a great juggler, and guess what - you get gigs. You hustle. You love what you do.

So hey, keep on keeping on - you have an advantage that people who do those shows don't. You have integrity.

That and a ponytail.

2:16 PM

 
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Oxana Baiul? She judging talent contest? With the Has? Wow...did she gio down hill. ;-)

2:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home