Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Busy Week for Me, But That's Not What I'm Happy About

Hello, Brrrrrris-cooo!Starting today I'll be performing several shows a day at the Kane County Fair. I'm there through Sunday and I even have a booking on the following Monday. So I'll certainly be making a living this week.

While I am happy about this, the thing that is bringing me the most enjoyment is the fact that Tuesday brought about the DVD release of one of my all-time favorite TV shows, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr..

This short-lived FOX program from the early 1990s starred the incomparable Bruce Campbell and was one of the most clever, funny, and enjoyable shows of its kind. Of course there aren't many shows of this kind so you can take that accolade however you wish.

Brisco County Jr. had a lot going for it. It paid tribute to the classic action movie serials of days gone by. It never took itself too seriously and, in their own words, was just below over the top. Lots of tongue-in-cheek humor peppered in among excellent action sequences, nestled within a western setting (1893 California) made this a very fun show to watch.

However there was also a bit of a science fiction aspect to the show which was a welcome change from the standard western genre. Basically you had an action/western/sci-fi/comedy in Brisco County Jr. and I watched every episode. I hoped dearly that FOX would give this show a fighting chance and not do awful things like shift it around the time slot board and chase the audience away. Of course, that didn't happen and FOX did all they could to ruin the show. IN spite of a decent audience willing to watch the show, it got bounced around the weekly slots and put on month long breaks so many times even the loyal fans couldn't tough it out.

Hmmm...A well-written sci-fi western that FOX didn't handle properly? Sounds familiar to me.

Anyway, MANY people, fans of Bruce Campbell to be sure, have been waiting for this to come out on DVD for a long time. Finally, we're all dancing the Happy Dance.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adored Brisco County! So fun and charming, (and I loved the whole tongue in cheek thing.)

Break a leg on your shows :-)

5:49 AM

 
Blogger sue said...

*Happy dancin'*

Of course, Firefly WAS the ultimate...

Have a fun fair time! Is it as hot there as it is here? Stay cool!!!

7:57 AM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

I got the email about this today and came here to tell you about it. You so scooped me.

6:35 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Ah, but Brisco was the show that set the standard. OK, I suppose Wild Wild West was the originator of the genre, butI'm talking modern day FOX shows and all that.

Sorry you're late to the party on this one Golfwidow. Had I known I'd have sent you info sooner.

Lisa B, many thanks for the wel-wishes.

7:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home