Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Ten Things Tuesday (Special Saturday Edition) : Things I Saw On My Birthday

Most of these are screen shots taken from video.
The quality is not as good as I'd like, but sufficient for the internet.

They didn't have a Sumatran Rat Monkey.
Sumatran Rhinoceros

They have two of these bizarre and magnificent creatures at the Cincinnati Zoo. We saw them last year and really loved them. They are very rare and quite a treat to see.


This is the most action I've seen in a long time!
Loads of Lorikeets

Somehow we found ourselves feeding Lorikeets and other tropical birds at two different exhibits in the same day. This licking Lory lives at the Newport Aquarium. Apparently I am made of nectar and that is why I'm being licked so vigorously.
Further proof that all the birds think I'm TASTY!

Speaking of licking...

I should have brought that Lorikeet here.

Yeah, I know. I'm a moron. I should point out that just a few miles from this sign is one that reads, "Licking Valley Girl Scouts Bridge". I could have taken a photo of that one but I didn't! It also bears mentioning that there is a part of Kentucky known as "Beaver Lick". I've been there too, just not on this trip and certainly not as often as I'd like to go there. OH!

Speaking of Licking...

Hey, it could have been called a Bearded Clam.A Giant Clam

Oh no I DIDN'T!
Oh yes I DID!
I told you.
I'm a moron.





If you play Horseshoes you might get crabs.Horseshoe Crabs

V.D. jokes aside, this may not be the best photo but we just liked being able to see the underside of the crab. We've seen many of these before but have never gotten to see what lies beneath.

Obligatory V.D. jokes: I suppose if you go around Kentucky and Ohio licking everything you have to expect catching crabs. To clear this up I should go buy a little blue ointment.

Or maybe I should just get...


A-Fucking-Dorable! A Little Blue Penguin!

The Cincinnati Zoo remains as the only place I've ever been able to see these little guys. It is hard to see from the image but they really do have a bluish color to them. They are adorable. They are the smallest of the penguin family and this particular one went out of his way to make a lot of noise for our benefit.

I've got some excellent video from both of our trips and perhaps one day I'll edit it all together and post it somewhere so you can get a better idea of how cool these Australian penguins really are.

April told me she'd put one in her purse & take it home if I'd have asked. I chose not to ruin a good purse.


MMMmmm...Waffle House!

I take em Smothered, covered, capped, & chunked...like my women.I don't know what I like more about the Waffle House - The food or the "local color". Either way, why would I choose some fancy breakfast place on my birthday when there's a freakin' Waffle House across the street from my motel? Waffle House remains one of the last places in the U.S. where someone tells me I remind them of Billy Ray Cyrus (because of my hair, I assume).

These are named Emu & Phillip Awww, Baby Emu!

What? I suppose YOU'VE seen a shitload of baby Emu in your day?

I thought not.


His garden SUCKED!

Octopus

The Newport Aquarium had many amazing things to see. I am always a sucker (HA!) for an Octopus. This one was really active and fun to watch.

There were many more "tentacular" images to share, but I chose this one because I'm intrigued by the "face" of the Octopus. I've always felt as though these creatures have a soul.

Last, but certainly not least...


Shark Ray & His Men The Shark Ray!

These images certainly don't do this guy justice, but click on the image for a larger view anyway.

You are looking at Sweet Pea, the ONLY living Shark Ray on display in the Western Hemisphere. Part shark, part sting ray, it is among the most unusual and amazing things I've ever seen, and it's in KENTUCKY! Good lord I hope the locals don't try to fish for the damn thing with dynamite!

Among the things I'm impressed by when I look at this guy is that he kind of looks like a classic hot rod car. I imagine seeing ZZ Top driving to a concert in one of these.


One of the images I put in here shows the undersides of a Sting Ray and the Shark Ray side by side. I felt very fortunate to have been able to capture such an image. Hell I felt fortunate just to see the damn thing.

The Newport Aquarium is possibly the best aquarium I've been to in the U.S. and I HIGHLY recommend that you check it out. It is very affordable, interactive, and fun for anyone!

13 Comments:

Blogger Mia said...

lol your adopted red penguin is adorable :P

9:26 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Glad you like him. He's always been fond of you too. lol

How'd you come to find this here blog? You're always welcome here and I thank you for the comment. I'll be checking out your blogs later.

LMK if you'd like to do a link exchange.

9:36 AM

 
Blogger Mia said...

yay! I'm glad he likes me too :)

And I just happened to pass by your blog when I was trying to find an old friend who's also coincidentally called Andy lol sure, we can do a link exchange. My blog is just random stuff put together to keep it alive 'n kicking. Yours seems to be rather interesting -- I'll read up when my summer break starts.

keep blogging!

6:49 PM

 
Blogger Mia said...

Oh, and you're...

AND WOULD IT KILL YOU TO LEAVE A COMMENT ONCE IN AWHILE?! ZEESH!

ALL ORIGINAL MATERIAL IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT! © Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved. SO THERE! :Þ


... was hilarious :P

6:50 PM

 
Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

Hey, hi! Just stopped by from Kelly's blog! Can't quite wrap my mind around all this...so I guess I will have to return and ponder *laugh*! Love little blue penguins...is that o.k. for a start!?

7:23 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Well 3, thanks for reading, commenting, linking & laughing. I hope you'll catch up on all my crap and enjoy. I'll put a link up soon. If you'd like I can link all of your blogs. Just say the word.

Oregon, welcome! Kelly rocks and she seems to have a lot of readers that equally rock. very glad you stopped by.

I suppose if you've no idea what to expect from me hee then yes, there is a lot to take in. Of course, before too long you'll come to the conclusion that I'm a total moron/professional entertainer/moron that likes penguins.

lol

Oh yeah, normaklly the Ten Things come out on Tuesday. Tuesday was my birthday and I was out of town. I had many troubles uploading photos so the Tuesday list came out later this week. But you likely figured all that out.

9:45 PM

 
Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

Cool that you stopped by...not so good that you are not out on a Saturday night...sad! ;-) I would love to "link" with you...problem being, I can't even figure out how to do so!

10:11 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

I can teach you the l;inky thing and there's also a good help section in Blogger.

As for the not being out thing, I just got back from a trip to a bar to lend council to a friend in need. Since it was technically at a bar and there were young ladies there I'll say HA to that.

Plus, I am an entertainer. Usually I'm out on the weekends but performing while others are having fun. I was in Milwaukee earlier tonight doing just that.

12:51 AM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

The Octopus' garden never sucks as hard as his tentacles do.

Heh. I said "tentacles."

4:40 AM

 
Blogger sue said...

Don't know if you noticed, Andy, but I posted a "belated birthday" wish on my blog... I felt awful. Do you still want me to send the card? I can, you know. I know where you live... heh.

Sounds like you had a great birthday! ...and the fact I'm seeing pictures must mean you're back in the internet good graces?

8:12 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

LOL! Sue, I missed the birthday wishes, but appreciate them nonetheless. You can send the card or recycle it for someone else. I'm easy going.

I'm fairly back in the internet world. The photo issue was a Blogger issue. The surfing thing MAY have been fixed by a little cleaning and tweaking on my part. For now I'm up and running.

GW, that was tentacular.

9:50 AM

 
Blogger Webmiztris said...

cool trip! Big Bone Lick - lmfao! you realize this post was heavily laced with sexual innuendo, don't ya? ;)

11:47 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Well DUH!

LOL!

12:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home