Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Ten Things Tuesday: Things Seen, Read, or Overhead in Southern Illinois

  • "Children under 10 should be accompanied by an adult to all bars" (Thank God this sign was seen at a buffet and not a saloon. Of course...I could be wrong.)
  • "Want to see what printing was like NEARLY 100 years ago? Here's Okawville's first newspaper from 1893" (At the Okawville Hen House restaurant)
  • "They're not hot flashes. They're power surges!" (T-shirt won by one SCARY gorilla-like woman at a Ryan's restaurant in Mt. Vernon)
  • Sign outside of Hungry's pancake House in West Frankfort: "Meatloaf Frog Legs"
  • Billboard along I-57 South: "Want to see an EXTREME Meth Makeover? Methhelp.com" the billboard featured mug shots of people stung out on crystal meth.
  • While asking for directions to the venue in West Frankfort Pt 1: "I suppose you'd want the easiest route to get there, huh?" She didn't give me the easiest route. She gave me the wrong route altogether.
  • While asking for directions to the venue in West Frankfort Pt 2: "Do you know where Shorty's is?" (My response: "NO") "OK, go past Shorty's and then make a left." Her directions were correct.
  • "Is this where the circus is tonight?" (My response: "Yes") "Well how do I get in?" (My response: "Do you have a ticket?" ) "Well, I have one of these." (She presented a family ticket good for her and her entire family. I know this because it said FAMILY TICKET clearly on top. My response: "Present that at the door and you can get in to see the show." ) "OK, where is the door?" (My response: "At the front of the building here." ) "Alright, is this where the circus is tonight?" Repeat as needed to make the person go away.
  • "If you don't soon come to see me in Mt. Vernon, I'll come see you with an axe!" (Old advertisement for Mt. Vernon.)
  • Store I passed: Hair Salon/Gun Shop/Liquor Store

Now, on to Mt. Carmel, IL. More tomorrow.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

What, no videos at the Hair Salon/Gun Shop/Liquor Store? Oh, wait, that's Walmart.

12:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to open a new chain of drive thru (or should I call them "drive by" ?) stores called ATF and sell just that, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. All from the comfort of your car....I'm sure they's be a hit in the buckle of the Bible Belt, Southern Illinois!

2:42 PM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

I went to a convenience store in Alabama where they had, among other things: gas, liquor, ammunition, and live goldfish. I said, "Damn, that is convenient."

3:14 PM

 
Blogger sue said...

You are having WAAAAY tooo much fun.

5:29 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

I wonder if that store also provided a barrel in which to shoot those fish, GW.

Sue, your perception of "fun" is quite different from mine.

Bud, you have no idea how right you are.

9:25 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Those are hilarious!

6:25 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Glad you liked them, Amanda. I do what I can. I've tried doing what I can't, but it is not as easy.

Best thing about this list is that I didn't have to make up anything. No creativity involved. Just the ability to write down things when I see them. nice!

10:22 AM

 
Blogger sue said...

Remember where I'm from. Fun is all relevant.

5:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home