Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Friday, January 20, 2006

Random Celebrity Photos! Vol. Seven: Penn & Teller

Penn & TellerThe only thing "random" about this is its placement within a blog. Otherwise, meeting the very funny and most creative comedy/magic team of Penn & Teller is a very easy thing to do. Always has been.

Penn & Teller have made it a point to make themselves accessible to their fans for as long as they've been together. When I first saw them at the Schubert Theatre in Chicago somewhere around 1989 I was amazed to find them outside after the show, signing autographs, posing for photos, and most importantly - selling their own merchandise. I'd always heard that they were very fan-friendly, but this ws my first time really seeing it in action.

They were just really hitting their stride as a team back then and were gaining more and more notoriety for their Letterman & SNL appearances, and for their ground-breaking performances. They were also making headlines for being extremely open about how magic tricks work, pissing off magicians everywhere (which is no real threat at all, to be honest).

I've always shared a similar opinion about the "magician's code" with Penn & Teller. That is to say, if someone really wants to know how a trick is done, they really only have to go to a local library or magic shop and read a few books about magic. It is all there if you want to find it. Moreover, for most people, knowing the secret doesn't ruin the trick anyway. Most illusions have extremely simple secrets behind them. Most people believe they're much smarter than they really are, so smart in fact, that they surely cannot be fooled by such a simple trick. Knowing the secret makes most people come to the conclusion, "That's ONE way it can be done. But how do THEY do it?". Besides, Penn & Teller don't really tell too many secrets. They do a lot to broaden the art and weed out the crap and every performer (except the crappy ones) should be thankful.

On my wall I have a framed montage of Penn & Teller items. There's the photo of April & me with the duo, a pic of April & her mom with them (all taken in Las Vegas after a show), a signed ticket from a Vegas show, and a program from that first show in Chicago. People are always extremely happy to get to spend a little time with these guys and I will always admire them for maintaining this practice throughout their career.

As it happens, both Penn Jillette and I are jugglers as well as graduates of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Clown College. I'm about as ambivalent about my being in such an "elite" group as he is, but I was more gung ho about it back then. by the time I was at Clown College, Penn had pretty much stopped admitting his association with the place and hadn't called the College to update contact info and the like. I certainly don't blame him. being a Ringling graduate had its share of stigmas.


After the show

Notice how Teller wants to be so close to April and Penn is so repulsed by me. LOL!


At the Chicago show I mentioned to Penn that many of the students would see photos of him, and some of the other famous graduates and use it as inspiration to succeed. He seemed somewhat interested in hearing that. A short while later, while checking in with some friends at the college, Hope, the secretary/manager/mom to everyone there told me that out of the blue she received a call from Penn Jillette, with updated info and some friendly talk. I've no idea how true the story is or if I had anything to do with that, nor do I take credit for any sort of Sinatra-Jerry Lewis-Dean Martin-reunion. Knowing how friendly he and his partner are to fans, I was very happy to hear the story and hoped I had something to do with it.

If you are ever in Las Vegas, do yourself a favor and see Penn & Teller LIVE at the Rio All Suite Hotel. Tickets are very reasonable, the show is unforgettable, the souvenirs are most excellent, and you'll get to meet the guys and have memories to share on your own blogs. Also check out "Bullshit" on Showtime or on DVD, and be sure to get "The Aristocrats", available on DVD January 24, 2006. You should also try and find Penn Jillette on the radio alongside Michael Goudeau (another Ringling grad and cool juggler) .

3 Comments:

Blogger Andy Land said...

You should definitely check out the show. Very affordable and they're in Vegas year-round. You can certainly make it out to Vegas. If I can get there twice a year all the way from Chicago, then it should be a snap for a gal from AZ.

11:05 AM

 
Blogger Gordon D said...

I actually saw them years ago, when they played the (I believe then-reopened) Chicago theater.

If you haven't seen P & T live, ya just gotta. It's definitely worth the hype.

1:19 PM

 
Blogger Spook said...

You've met Penn and Teller? Wow. Those two are amazing - I've always liked their attitude towards making it clear that "it's just a trick" and letting it be part of the act instead of something mystical.

7:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home