Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Sunday, October 23, 2005

And Yet, No Readers

While checking my stats today I found someone discovered my blog by typing in the question, "What is funny to read in blog universe?". Of course I can't imagine such a long and complete sentence being used in a Google search, but nonetheless someone did indeed ask the question.

As it happens the "answer" to such a Google question has Andy Land in the TOP THREE of the 2,700,000 possible websites listed. Now that's very cool indeed.

Sadly I don't even register if you type in "What is FUN to read in the Blog universe?" That must add to the ongoing explanation as to why I have so few readers and comments.

I'm funny, but I'm no fun. Funny how the blog universe reflects real life. No fun seeing the truth played out online.

I'm a man with few friends. I have many acquaintances, professional and personal, but I have maybe two or three friends. Random phone calls to see how I'm doing from my friends are rare. Get-togethers and social visits are practically nonexistent. Few people, if any, are ever around to offer me advice when I need it most. Turnouts for some of my bigger shows hardly ever have any of my friends in the audience.

And yet, I'm good for a laugh or two.

I'm frequently told how funny I am and what a great guy I am. I guess I'm good at a party, but not all that good to have around otherwise. In fact I go to more parties than anyone I know. Unfortunately I'm never an invited guest. I'm a paid performer. Good for the career, bad for the self esteem.

It's no big deal. I don't like me that much either and certainly understand not wanting to have me around. I can be opinionated, depressing, needy, and obnoxious. Why would you want to interact with that after you got the laugh you needed?

I spend a lot of time online reading blogs. There are about 10 to 15 must read blogs for me, and many that I peck at and check in with when I can. A common complaint I see from the writers is that they get no traffic. Of the people complaining of no traffic, maybe about half of them truly get no visitors. The rest? Check out their comments fields. 20, 30, 40 or more people leaving comments and responding. Last time I checked that was indeed successful traffic.

Now there are certainly ways to increase traffic via links and RSS feeds. Posting interesting content doesn't hurt either. I an also highly recommend doing a link exchange with Attu. When I was on his blogroll I got a good 100 more hits per day than I do now. No idea why I'm off the list now, but who cares, right?

I'm coming to the conclusion that the only real way to get traffic is to comment relentlessly at other blogs. People take their blogs very seriously and view it as a personal insult if you don't feel compelled to comment. Apparently it is not enough to merely read the blog and register your cookie within their temporary folder.

I am notoriously bad at commenting elsewhere, which may explain why I have about 15 to 20 regular visitors here a day and maybe 6 of those folks leave comments. Of course, I am GRATEFUL anD THANKFUL for all the readers I've had this past year. I'm just noticing trends and the like, creating theories, etc..

Perhaps I'll mount a campaign where I spend a day leaving comments at every single blog on my links list and see what happens from there. Could be a fascinating waste of time, if not a great distraction from cleaning the apartment. Lord knows I have no pressing social engagement to go to today.

9 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne said...

I keep my fingers crossed for your career.
Don't worry someone will comment your blog sometimes ;)

10:33 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Ahhh, sweet irony. lol

Thanks for the comment and the finger-crossing!

10:38 AM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

I can't read your blog on my lunch break anymore. Our work servers think you have a dirty mind.

If they only knew ...

12:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, You've made me soooo sad reading your entry today. If I was in Chicago I'd have you over for dinner tonight!! Post Offices here have already been closed for Monday, along with just about everything else, but I'll get that picture disk in the mail Tuesday. Lots of polar bear pictures!
Smile...life is toooo short.
Cathy

1:40 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

You could try reading my many other posts from the last two days, Cathy. I'm sure there was something less depressing there. ;)

Thanks for the thoughts and for the offer of dinner...in a hurricane. LOL! No big deal. I was just venting and I can get a little dark on this here blog every so often.

GW, you needn't explain anything here. It is impossible to stay current on everyone's blog. I'm just glad to know you read it and happier to know somebody's workplace thinks I'm dirty. ;)

2:10 PM

 
Blogger Bud said...

The hit /comment ratio thing is really stange but perhaps GW answered part of it. People blog at work a lot and their servers block guys like us who sometimes mention objectiable acts. I couldn't get on my own blog when I was at a Marriott in Hawaii. Something to do with the word "beastiality." I do make it a point to read my entire blogroll everyday and comment on nearly every one. I have to tell you, it does not yield an equal amount of comments. Some people just NEVER comment. There are a few I've givien up on. But a ton of people are reading it. It's puzzling but I don't work that hard at expansion. I may yet when I finish with some ongoing projects.

But you're a must read every day, my friend.

4:35 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Yeah, but you know us entertainer types, Bud. Needing approval and acceptance and all that stereotypical crap.

I guess if I ever get to the point of publishing a book I need to know if anyone will buy it or read it. ;)

Now stop commenting on my blog and go board up your windows!

11:55 AM

 
Blogger sue said...

Personally, I think you're just as cute as...a penguin! Badump pum.

Bad, I know. I just want you to know that I read you as often as I can (daily is a goal) and I always try to comment on all the blogs I read unless they've got 40 or so or everyone has said it way better than I have. I also want you to know that even tho' you're an entertainer and a 'funny guy'... you ARE human. You are allowed to not be the funny guy all the time. We'll accept a little realism once in awhile and encourage you to do so. That'll help us learn to know YOU not just the funny guy. Not that there is anything wrong with the funny guy... oh, geez... am I gettin confusing here? ::stepping quietly out of the room::

4:01 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Hey Roberta! Thanks for commenting and for comforting. Good to know I'm not alone. I do reserve the right to feel that way though. ;)

8:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home