Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Monday, August 29, 2005

There's the "SHOW" and There's the "BUSINESS"

Most people forget about the business part of show business. I know that most ALL performers forget about that part and truly have no desire nor need to know anything about the business of being in entertainment. All any of us wants to is perform. Why mess with the money, the contracts, the taxes, etc.? I suppose that's why so many entertainers actually "get the business" when dealing with agents, producers, and the like. I think I tend to do the business end very well most of the time.

I'm involved in a situation right now that has a lot to do with the business end of my profession. It is one I can't really get into here in great detail. If it all turns to crap I can elaborate a little more. If it turns out well I won't add much because I may be creating a new business relationship in the process.

I can say that it involves a decent-sized contract worth a goodly amount of money. It also entangles some professional ethics, some negotiations, and the preservation of my reputation in the business, if not proudly proclaiming my understanding of the business, something many performers sorely lack.

In order to show that I'm not a totally green new kid on the block and am actually a seasoned performer with a knowledge of his value and worth, I have to run the risk of turning away a few thousand dollars. That part of the business really sucks. I can REALLY use the money, but not at the risk of losing a lot of position in the marketplace, strength, dignity, etc. Everything but one part of me says turn down the gig outright. The one part? The entertainer, AKA, the independent contractor. Can the entertainer afford to turn down the gig? Probably not. Can the professional entertainer afford NOT to turn it down? Same answer.

I was expecting a big knock-down, drag-out verbal assault with the person who is now handling this booking (a booking which I was supposed to be handling directly...that's part of the conflict). Instead I was armed with lots of wisdom and input from colleagues as well as some folks who have dealt with this person before. What happened was a potentially positive renegotiation that could result in...

A) Less money than I'd originally stated to the end client (which I expected anyway since nobody seems to take your first offer as "the price")
B) MORE money than what the agent tried to book me for (which I hadn't expected at all)
C) A bigger set of show-biz testes for me and a lot more credibility, respect, and most importantly, a clear statement that I am not a fresh-faced imbecile that can be treated like crap.

See?  I won an award and everything!Of course, I won't know for sure if I can actually salvage this booking for a little longer. I now must wait for an answer from the agent. I have still resolved in my head that I won't get the gig and am more than at peace with the possibility of losing a very big paycheck in order to keep from getting screwed. I actually feel pretty good about either result and feel much better about my place in the business today. How can that be a bad thing?

In any event, some good blogger MOJO would be appreciated. ;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to landing on your feet. Meow....

6:33 AM

 
Blogger Bud said...

Andy, the business side sucks so bad, doesn't it? I totally support your position and admire your integrity. I hope it nets you better gigs in the long run. Even if it doesn't, there is no price on being able to look at yourself in the mirror, like who you see and smile.

6:38 AM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

I consider your integrity to be a selling point in and of itself. Sending good vibes ....

9:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Viva la Mojo!

12:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home