Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Sunday, August 28, 2005

I Forgot to Post This

Not a Rockhopper, but a cool button, no?  What?  You think it is easy coming up with this crap?  Come on!  It is a button from the Shedd Aquarium, featuring penguins for fuck's sake!  Gimme a break!Kellie, sent me some penguin news about 150 years ago. OK, it was more like two months back. Regardless, I forgot to mention it since I was so busy promoting the "March of the Penguins" movie, a task that has garnered me no thank-yous nor freebies from Luc Jacquet nor Warner Independent Pictures. No biggie. I just hope they know how POWERFUL my blog is. ;)

Anyway, since I am all about the penguins I thought I'd share it with you here. Now. Late. :(

Shedd welcomes baby penguins
Tribune staff reports
June 28, 2005, 12:03 PM CDT

The Shedd Aquarium today introduced three baby penguins born there in recent weeks.

The latest additions are a pair of rockhopper chicks, hatched June 15 and weighing about 11 ounces each; and a gentoo chick, hatched June 23 and weighing a little more than 3 ounces.

Also not a Rockhopper penguin.  I KNOW you aren't gonna bitch about a vintage postcard image with a half-naked Mermaid on it!  Oh no you didn't!The chicks will gain between 10 and 25 percent of their body weight every day for the first several weeks of their lives, and will be fully grown in 75 to 90 days, Shedd officials said.

The rockhoppers--so named because they hop from place to place--are second-generation births in the Shedd's penguin breeding program. Their parents also were hatched at the aquarium.

The three chicks can be seen in the 40-degree habitat of Shedd's Oceanarium.


According to a Shedd news release, penguins are unique in the animal world because both male and female parents participate in caring for a chick, taking turns feeding it and sitting on it to keep it warm.

Copyright (c) 2005, Chicago Tribune

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oohhhh, I like that pinup lots!!

7:27 AM

 
Blogger Bud said...

Hmm, I wonder if they have this compulsion, when they have chicks in captivity, to walk 70 miles before breakfast and then feed the kid.

8:33 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

I understand that they walk 70 miles to another zoo and get the food there, then return to the Shedd and feed the chicks. It backs up traffic for miles.

10:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home