Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Monday, August 01, 2005

Coolest Autograph Request Yet!

I got this e-mail today from someone at a High School in Uniontown, Ohio. I thought it was pretty darned cool so I thought I'd share it with you.

"Dear Mr. Martello,

We have created a motivational display for our students and we would like to include your response during the 2005-2006 school year. We are requesting some simple "saying" (like: Do what you love and you'll never have to work) that someone once shared with you or that you feel would be good advice to share with today's youth.

If available, we would appreciate an autographed photograph for our display. We ask that you respond to the address below."

OK, am I the only one who is scared at the thought of someone wanting advice from ME to "today's youth"? Honestly, I have much better advice to give than what is represented in the picture I sent, but that advice certainly wouldn't be quite what they're looking for. I mean really, "Never trust THE PILL" wouldn't look good all over some high school mural, right?

Below is the photo I made for them and my all-time favorite quote from ANCIENT (He died on May 13, 1997) jazz musician, Duke Madison.

Duke was a trumpet player who had to be about 140 years old when I met him at a hotel gig in Lexington, Kentucky. I was tagging along with my good friend (and current web designer), David Goldflies. David was the bass player for the Allman Brothers for many years and is one hell of an amazing musician.


He had this little gig subbing for the regular bassist in this tiny combo. The gig was kind of cool. Duke was playing his horn and occasionally singing in front of a piano, drums, & bass. The setting was next to a hotel fountain not far from the bar and there were a few tables scattered throughout the area. There was never many folks listening, but those that were there enjoyed the music they heard.

Duke took quite a liking to me for some reason or another. Musicians always seem oddly fascinated with comedians & variety performers and Duke was no exception. We told road stories to one another, laughed and shared wisdom from our journeys. I was about 20 or 21 at the time and he was very impressed I actually had any stories to tell.

Duke told me many things that day but the one I can never get out of my head is this,
"You've got to do what you know before you know what you're doing!"

Poetry! Sheer poetry!

A quick web search provides info on how you can help fund the Duke Madison Memorial Scholarship. Thankfully I have provided you with this link. ;)

Below is a scan of the photo I sent out. I went ahead and printed the quote on the picture so it would be easier for you to read. I may use this sheet as a promo piece. Turned out pretty well.



Click Photo to Enlarge

7 Comments:

Blogger golfwidow said...

I love that poster. Love. It.

4:50 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Awww, you're just trying to get one for your wall. You can't fool me.

That IS what you're doing, right?

LOL!

6:29 PM

 
Blogger Bud said...

That's a terrific project those kids thought up and you handled it perfectly. Good man!

6:14 AM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

Nah, I'm holding out for the poster from the Naked Juggler Tour.

6:17 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

The Naked Juggler Tour??? I'm thinking I would have to be working for an audience of blind people for that to happen. Otherwise the audience would end up blind after watching.

Still, I could see the tag line on the poster.

"Wanna See Andy's Balls?"- -Naked Juggler Tour 2000-never".

Bud, I still can't think that having me add any sort of wisdom for today's youth is a BIG mistake!

8:50 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

GW is brilliant! I'd pay to see the Naked Juggler Tour! omg, you're hot Andy. What a cool project and what a nice collage you put together for them. Your friend Duke sounds like he was an awesome friend, I'm glad you had your time with him.... and LOL @ "Never trust the pill"... Those are some wise words to live by.

5:02 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

WOO-HOO! Kim thinks I'm HOT! GW wants to see me juggling naked! Bud thinks I handle kids perfectly! (HUH!) I'm a full-on internet hottie!

OK, back to reality.

Trust me on this one ladies, as much as I'd like to show you my naked self and what I can do with my...uh...juggling balls, I can assure you that you DO NOT WANT TO SEE ME NAKED!

I've got a wife that claims I'm one sexy bitch and yet, from what I can gather, showers are for bathing, beds are for sleeping, and nudity is best left to the professionals where I am concerned! LOL!

I look GREAT in clothes, on stage (also in clothes), and in the dark (or from behind...or when you're drunk...or asleep thinking about a good looking guy with my head).

Naked, I look like all the same other saps you've been canoodling with at home (the ones you'd probably trade in for a newer model, or at least one with less...road-wear).

I'm getting thinner, but not all that muscular. I've got killer shoulders and one broad chest, but the rest leaves everything to be desired. Just being honest, not modest.

Now don't get me wrong...we get to thumping uglies and you'll have one HELLUVA GOOD TIME! To quote my dad, "I do the best I can with what I got." We'll have a borderline illegal time and you'll be happily sore and tired for days.

As for the "pill" comment, I have two points of reference for coming up with that little bit of wisdom. Neither of which will I be sharing any time soon.

3:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home