Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Sunday, July 10, 2005

More Archival Material

Not that I think anyone will really care about the insignificant mark I'll leave on the world after I'm gone or anything. I just like to have something for you to read and look at. If it helps chronicle the journey of absolute mediocrity that is the life and times of Andy Martello then so be it.

This would have to be my Senior year of high school. I was in the theatre, which is where you could almost always find me, and I was just messing around.

I'm not sure what on Earth is so fascinating about balancing a chair on my face, but it is something people always remember and applaud a lot for. I was just bored at the time and it was very likely that I was trying to impress some of the girls in the area, even more likely trying to impress the girl taking the photo (MAJOR BABE that I'd NEVER have a chance with in a go-zillion years. She knows who she is and if she ever sees this she'll know that I wasn't making a joke all those times I told here how attractive she was.).

There's a lot to look at in this photo. First off, I was actually a fairly thin and well-proportioned guy. Who knew? Next, the photo is actually pretty good. Nice balance and composition and it can be used in many ways. I believe it is among the ONLY candid photos of me to ever appear in a year book.Also, note the Second City t-shirt. At the time I fancied going to the famed school of improvisational theatre and chase my dreams of comedy stardom.

Living in such a small town at the time, wearing such a shirt implied I was incredibly more hip and worldly than I actually was. I mean, the Second City is in...CHICAGO! People in Marengo RARELY venture out to such a place. To them, the big city was and is Rockford. Not quite the same. In any event the shirt gave me a hint of cool that was sorely lacking most all other times I'm sure. Plus is was red with black letters and red & black has been my favorite color scheme for years.

I did make a few trips to Second City to see what the prospects for taking the classes and pursuing the dream were. Turns out I didn't have the cash to take the classes (not much at the time, really) and since I'd already decided not to go to college it was made very clear to me that I wouldn't be getting any cash from the parents to go (no biggie).

I also wasn't really ready for the place. I'd just gotten back from Clown College and had been doing some performing for a few years, but I wasn't really mature enough to do what was necessary to make the place worth the time. In short, I'd have wasted the experience, something I'm very good at. The difference between then and now is that somehow, I knew THEN I'd not make the best of the time and I chose not to waste the time and money. I don't have that kind of discipline now.

In retrospect I really wish I had gone regardless of my ability to fritter away my ability. They were willing to allow me to take the beginning and advanced classes for the same price as just the beginning classes, based upon my past performing experience. I'm sure I'd be farther along in the old career today if I'd have gone. This was around 1988 or 1989 and Second City still had some hip credibility and cache' in the performing world. Don't get me wrong, you can still see some great shows and many a fine performer comes out of the place, but it is not the same as it was.

At the time I was thinking of going, Second City was celebrating their last hurrah as THE ultra-hip haven for future gods of comedy. Now, even though it still offers excellent training and numerous performing opportunities (there are some great high-end contacts within the place) it is more of a focused corporate training entity. It became easier for people to take the classes and soon every young turk with a power tie was in there taking the classes, hoping it would help them be more personable at the meetings and sales calls. It also became very trendy to say you were involved with Second City and franchise touring companies were sprouting around everywhere.

This is not meant to slam the Chicago institution so much as to state one man's opinion. I know some great people that have really helped their careers there and if the opportunity ever arose I'm sure I'd give it a try today. There is an upside to begin a real performer in with a bunch of corporate "water-cooler comedians". If you're a good performer you will stand out much better and sooner than if you were surrounded by real talents. I just think that the overall experience is tainted and the end product is not as strong.

I'm sure many a Second City alum would read this and angrily defend their comedy home and toss my ideas aside, stating that I'm just jealous or frustrated or something like that. After all, what do I know? I've never sold a scripted show as an improvisational experience and the place is creeping up on its 50th anniversary. That is certainly their right and their opinion to share, just like the ones I have shared today.

In any event, I was going through some photos recently and came across this one. Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy Land said...

Well I'd be even worse at any sort of schooling today, Doyle. No tolerance for people who think they know more than me nor the folks that actually do. Bottom line is that I am a lazy person. I was a lazy kid and I'm a lazy adult.

At the time I thought about Second City I liked the promise it brought, but didn't like the waiting. The work wasn't so much an issue as the impatience coupled with my laziness. Plus, I really hadn't done enough in the world for me to get caught up in all that cliquey stuff. Second City is like a bizarre treehouse club.

I agree that most people should wait for some time before deciding upon a career, seeing as how most people switch jobs 8-10 times before they're 40. However, I knew since I was 10 that I wanted to do some sort of entertainment career and built my life around that exact goal. I've never wanted to do anything else. Writing is a new thing for me, but all told, being an entertainer wasn't a choice for me. It was who I was meant to be.

I do think that people shouldn't even consider getting married until thay're at least 30. That way, they've had some time out of school to work on a career, play the field, enjoy life, etc. It is far too easy to get married and too many people do it because they think that's what they're supposed to do.

1:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home