Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Love My New Video Software, Hate Wasting Time

It takes some time to get the bugs worked out of any new techno-crap like editing software. Being an impatient guy who wants to just GO and not read the manual, it can take a LITTLE longer to get moving.

Of course, I'm already fairly well-versed in video editing software so using the tutorials and light reading of the manual is pretty darn helpful. What I don't like...

  • Having a question based on what appears to be a COMMON problem & being told to go to the online help source or consult the manual & tutorial...when all of those things don't answer the question. Of course, if I'd like to pay for technical support & find out that the answer is one click away I get a little angry. Many hours wasted trying to get my video software to extract video from my video camera.
  • Knowing exactly what footage I want to use, knowing I made note of that tape where the footage lives, and putting it in a place where I wouldn't lose it only to be unable to find the tape when I need it most. Several hours wasted looking for about 5 seconds of footage.
  • Bumping my way through a project & getting better along the way. So much better, in fact, that as I improve I end up going back to the beginning and trying to use the new skills on the old idea (which generally isn't as good as the original idea).
  • Once in the groove of creating, I lose track of time and work til 2:30 AM on what has amounted to be about 90 seconds of finished film (I'm told I'm ahead of schedule). This really doesn't bother me as I'm a creative type and I can't tell the creativity when to arrive. I SHOULD be able to tell it that when I'm in bed trying to sleep, the ONLY THOUGHTS in my head should NOT be about the damn project. I was half asleep all night.
  • I won't be able to blog much more until all is completed.

Rest assured, this project (a five-minute promo for a comedy/variety group I know) will be essential in getting more work. Already I'm jamming on the look and feel of the thing and it should be one excellent marketing piece. A better piece will be made when better footage is available. For now, I remain confident in my ability to make "nothing" look like "something special".

I will finish the Birthday Week stories and all that. I promise.

2 Comments:

Blogger golfwidow said...

I can't sleep anyway when I have a good creative idea. You might just as well stay up till you get it the way you want it.

10:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I get that way when we are writing lyrics and music to a song we're trying to compose. I get so caught up in it, sometimes I can't sleep. And I see the sun creeping in the window. :)

8:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home