Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Friday, April 22, 2005

Random Celebrity Memories! Vol. One: Audrey Hepburn

To accompany my last post I'll throw in my first installment of...

Random Celebrity Memories!

These are stories about celebrity encounters that have no autographs or photos to back up the story. I completely understand if you want to throw a flag on the play because you believe the "Bullshit Meter" is flashing red. I assure you, the stories are all true. I doubt you'll need to worry about the veracity of the stories as they are quite unspectacular in every respect. However, not having any "proof" to back up the story, feel free to call me a liar.

Many years ago, I'm thinking around 1988 or 1989, I had a gig at the historic Palmer House Hotel in Chicago. This was one of my earliest "strolling gigs", where I was to wander through the party and juggle for people at their tables, while they were standing in line at the bar, etc.

The theme was something lame like Parisian Nights, and all of the performers had to dress like French mimes and "artistes". It was lame. I liked the paycheck and at this point I'd never been to the Palmer House, so I was excited nonetheless.

The event was a large fundraiser for UNICEF and the guest of honor was the most beautiful and extremely generous , Audrey Hepburn. There were many celebrities in attendance, but you simply don't trump Miss Hepburn, even if the music that night was provided by Buster Poindexter.

I'm not going to lie to you. I didn't get to officially meet her. We never shook hands, I never got an autograph, nor did we share much meaningful conversation. We did have a few words which I'll share in a moment. I can say that the times I was within "spitting distance" to her, she was not only beautiful, but she smelled lovely.

Most of the night was spent doing my job for all the party guests. I was seen on a few local news stations juggling in the background. I did get into a few photo opps and I was a good performer.

There were a few moments where I did get to watch Hepburn do her thing, dazzling the crowd with her grace and beauty. We passed each other on several occasions and at one point there was a big group photo involving all of the strolling performers and Miss Hepburn. SOMEWHERE in the world there is a photo or two of me and about 6 other jugglers, in French mime costumes, with Audrey Hepburn in the middle of the group. If anyone out there has a copy please send it along.

At the end of our photo session I got to have my "moment" with her. Not wanting to fawn all over her like so many others were that night, and not being one to get too squishy-giddy around celebrities, I didn't even introduce myself. I simply said something to her as she said her good-byes and walked passed me, something designed to be silly but memorable & somewhat reverent.

"Miss Hepburn, you're one classy broad."

She stopped, looked back at me, smiled her famous smile and replied,

"Darling, you have no idea!"

And then, she walked away, full of grace and beauty. I thought she was one amazing person before, but now I knew she really was damned cool.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling! I had noooo idea! :) Waht a great memory Andy, thanks for sharing that :)

12:29 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

LOL! Glad you liked that one.

Sorry you couldn't get in here. I assumed you hated me and had left me for dead. OK, that's not true. I really assumed something had happened to you, like an alien abduction or something. Those are the only easons I can justify someone not leaving comments on my blog: hatred or tragedy. ;)

Sometimes clearing the old cookies solves a world of Blooger woes.

1:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Audrey Hepburn was always one of my favorites.

Actually it isn't just your blog Andy. Blogger sucks no matter how many times we clear the cookies.

1:57 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

I gotta clear my cookies several times whenever I try to add a story into the MBC admin, but it is still my favorite online magazine. ;)

I can't leave comments on half of the sites that use Haloscan. Folks on Live Journal insist on seperate registration for reading, commenting, etc. The list goes on and on.

Everyone I know has complaints about every blog service out there. Saem with computers, cars, sports teams, political parties. Whatever works for you.

I've had my glitches with Blogger but it has worked out very well for me. When I post something today, it pops up in the searches tomorrow and therefore is the best marketing tool for me. If it gets really shitty I'll look elsewhere.

I looked at a lot of the others before settling on Blogger and most everyone else has the same issues, but in a different package. For now, it works.

I still think that there was some sort of abduction thing happening.

2:39 PM

 
Blogger golfwidow said...

Man, even if that story ISN'T true, it's great. (Although I have no reason to doubt it. I'm just saying.)

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was actually just referring to blogger being down--not your marketing schematic :)

So which celeb is up next? I gotta blog during breaks this weekend, so I expect fresh content like ohhh every coupla hours or so ;) lol. It's great to hear you in good spirits again :)

PS We don't get paid enough to program special log ins at MBC and you can always get in--That is actually a cookie con security issue :) Shit, you have an article coming up soon, huh! brb! lol

11:53 PM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Oh, I know you don't get paid much. I know that Doyle is one cheap sumbitch. LOL!

Well, whattaya want in the celeb dept? A random photo or a random story? I may have some more of both I can share.

I'll try to post a lot for ya tomorrow. I have to leave late in the day for a 1 AM gig in Iowa...for a PROM!!! What the hell???

I guess I'm in good spirits. Tough to say really, since most of my alone time is filled with very VERY dark and bad thoughts. But if the crowd is happy, then I'm happy. ;)

12:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omfg--lmao--dying to see the feedback on THAT one, it's in the can Andy ;)

12:02 AM

 
Blogger Andy Land said...

Yeah, that story makes for good tales on stage, and it certainly did stir up some controversy at The Cheers last year.

It's about that time again so I thought that MBC's audience might need a new reason to laugh and then hate me.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of angry people who are worried I didn't protect the gal's identity enough or something. I think I look the worst in that story, but what the hell do I know. LOL!

12:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say much without giving it away--it's just wrong...wrong, wrong, wrong---lol and not on YOUR part!

12:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great line Andy, risky but good and it ended up working! She sounds like quite the lady and I'm sure she kept that line with her!

As for 'blog' services, I've used blogger/blogspot for over a year now and haven't had any problems. Sure there is the odd time that perhaps it's slow moving or they may be down for maintainence but for a free service, it is great. I had my own domain once, along with a good publishing program and I ended up giving it all back for the free stuff. The free services were actually more reliable and better.

8:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home