Adorable 7 inch Penguins that desperately need a good home!
CLICK HERE for Details! Click, DAMN YOU!

adopt your own virtual pet!

Header designed by Riika Magnus
Silver-Logic Web Services

Copyright Andy Martello, All Rights Reserved

Friday, November 19, 2004

Zeesh! The Holidays Are Approaching FAST!

Ho-Ho-HOLY CRAP!
The ORIGINAL Bad Santa! Not only am I getting at the age where I marvel at how quickly the days, months, and years pass me by, but I just found an old news clipping of me as Santa. First, the passage of time.

I know it is a trite old notion but it really seems like life is moving a whole lot faster then it did when I was younger. Seems like yesterday I was celebrating the New Year and now I've got to gear up for another one.

Once again I'm not all too sure what I'm getting anyone for Christmas nor how I'm going to pay for anything. Once again I hope for enough gigs to keep me alive well into the coming year. Once again I have to string lights on a damn tree. OK, I like the tree part.

I really miss not seeing Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving. Of course, I really miss a lot of things from when I was younger. I don't miss parachute pants per se, but I do miss a few things. Oh well.

Now about this photo - Early in my career, a short time out of Clown College I had to take as many gigs as possible to convince my family that I would be able to one day make a living at being an entertainer. I even talk about one such gig at The Cheers this week. However, this photo represents a rarity in my showbiz life. This is a shot of yours truly playing Santa Claus for a local grocery store.

I RARELY did any sort of Santa appearances. It is a thankless job and the pay is LOUSY! But, if you need the money and can string several gigs together in a season you can make it worth enduring the kids with bad colds, worse attitudes, and shitty parents. I'm sure I'll write an article about my Santa days for The Cheers soon.

At the time of this photo the girls (Kelly & Meaghan Hirsch) were the first in line to show up at Morningfields in Park Ridge. This SHOULD have been a sweet thing, but it wasn't. Why? They were tired and crabby from waiting for a VERY long time prior to Santa's arrival.

See, their dad made a point to get them up extra early and wait for Santa BECAUSE he knew that the local newspaper photographer would be there at the same time. Apparently these same kids got their cute little mugs on the front page of the paper the previous year and the dad wanted to give "their fans" a repeat performance. The guy didn't even let them talk to Santa until the photographer was there. THAT was pretty fucking weak!

I only did a few Santa gigs that year and fewer the following year. I'm sure there are quite a few Poloroids of me with the kids I did see. This, however, is the only public evidence that I ever did this type of work at all.

HEY! Isn't "Hirsch" a Jewish last name?

Ah well, I told you I'd try to post some shit from the Andy Archives every now and again. So Merry Fucking Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home